It has been said that making the smallest changes leads to the most dramatic results. I completely agree, and often find that slight changes in a patient's diet can make a huge difference in how they feel.
Dietary recommendations from the viewpoint of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) are often quite different from other recommendations you may have received. There is an emphasis on cooked foods over raw and an omnivorous diet over a vegetarian one. However there is no one-size-fits-all model and food recommendations change by season and your health conditions. I feel it is of utmost importance to examine my patients' typical diet and make food recommendations- oftentimes including recipes and discussing timing of meals and snacks to optimize health. Dietary guidance is included as a part of all patients' overall treatment plan.
My food philosophy is...
- Non-Restrictive: There is no one food I will ask you to completely cut out of your diet! I have the occasional pizza dinner and you can too. The changes I will ask you to make are easy to implement and will make you feel more energetic and balanced.
- Whole-Foods based: I believe the best way to eat a whole-foods (non processed) diet is to prepare most meals at home. This provides the most highly nutritious, balanced meals but it doesn't need to be a time consuming process. I will show you how.
- Guided by the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM): you will receive individualized recommendations with an emphasis on cooked foods, minimally or non-processed ingredients, and an omnivorous diet. I am more than happy to work with vegetarian patients and respect their wishes.
You will receive:
- Suggestions for each meal, if I feel a change would be helpful
- Easy, quick recipes that I've personally tried and love
- Tips to satisfy your sweet or carb cravings while still remaining healthy and balanced
A list of conditions for which dietary changes are often helpful:
- Digestive Issues
- Anxiety and/or Depression
- Menstrual Irregularities
- Acne or Eczema
I am a firm believer that eating should be, above all, delicious and enjoyable. I help patients to find greater health and balance through the best medicine of all, the foods they eat.
Do you have a question for Susan?